Monday, May 11, 2009

PUBLIC DISPLAY - Uche Edochie

Who is Uche Edochie and what part of your body intrigues you?
I am a visual artist, writer, entrepreneur, husband and father of three. If there is any part of my body that I find intriguing, predictably, it has to be my Penis of course. But don’t take my word for it. It may actually be my imagination but penis popped into my mind first so there you go.

For how long have you been creating art?
For as long as I can remember. So I’ll probably go with as early as five years old.




What inspires you?
You know, I can’t really be specific about this because inspiration comes from everywhere although people who get asked this question generally tend to narrow it down by saying they are inspired by nature or religion or politics or whatever. In my case, I am inspired by everything and nothing in particular. I am inspired by life. But if you are wondering what drives me to create, it has to be the desire for a better world and by extension; a better life and I partly feel responsible for the kind of world I want to live in, hence my thematic slant.













Tell us about your work and the materials you prefer.
Let me begin with materials. I work with a variety of materials but as one who’s body of work is dominated by painting, I have a fondness for acrylic paint and canvas in particular. Why painting and why acrylic and canvas you may ask, in an age where there is a growing trend towards new media? There is no single reason for this but I have been able to identify a few. First, I love the language of colour and I have painted with a brush ever since I was five. For me, my experience with paints and brushes all these years can be likened to learning and speaking English language all these years as well. After thirty something years of speaking English and a bit of my own native language of Ibo, I have never really felt an enduring desire to switch to French, Spanish or any other language. So in the same way, the language of painting with a brush and water based colours comes instinctively. It works for me and I enjoy it. Like I said, I do try relatively different media every now and then but only when it comes naturally. I don’t do trend for the sake of trend. I have tried it and ran out of steam because it didn’t come naturally. So I let my ideas flow uninterrupted without the pressure to conform. Perhaps that’s what they mean when they say a person is old school, so maybe I am really just a dinosaur which is okay. Secondly, I am not that patient when I create probably because I process ideas pretty quickly without having to sleep on it or drag it out unnecessarily. So when I have an idea, I pretty much run with it and the acrylic medium is perfect for me cause it dries very fast too. Thirdly, acrylic and canvas are known quantities. I know their life span and response to varying weather conditions, which is comforting. I hate to invest so much into a new medium, sell it for a handsome price only to realise a few years later that the art is deteriorating. It is not fair, not to me or the buyer. Acrylic and Canvas are durable mediums and they get the job done most of the time so I go with them. And finally, I majored in painting in art school and thoroughly loved it. Old habits die hard. These are just a few major reasons why I work with my materials of choice.

And as for my work, I will keep it simple. My images are typically recognisable with a lot of strong colours, strong energy and a controlled sombre mood. I could be silly when I am doing other things but I get really serious when I make art and it shows. And talking about style of work, I wouldn’t bother trying to label my work as neo realist or Uli movement or whatever. I find labels deficient in this day and age for the kind of work I do.



















Where and how do you create?
It comes in two ways. Sometimes I have an idea and quickly try to capture it and then worry about understanding what the hell I just created later on. This particular process is quite rare. Most times though, I like to be specific because I am big on message. So I typically identify my theme, flesh it out and then create a series of work that say something along those specific lines. That way I can communicate without running the risk of rambling.
Something people don’t know about you. I have no idea what that could be… Maybe I have super powers but I have not yet confirmed this so we have to wait and see…coming to think of it, I once made a sick person better many years ago. Seriously…

Are you a full time studio artist? I used to be but got tired of it after a while. Having to make art for a living is very draining and just wears you out after a while because you have to work round the clock to keep the money flowing and that practise is a bit anti creativity. Nowadays, I have my art, writing, sex products business, an architectural firm and family to keep me occupied. I can always jump on one when I get bored or blank but I no longer have to paint everyday if I don’t feel the natural urge to.
What are you working on at the moment?
It’s too early to speak about that because it ruins the elements of surprise and anticipation that should go with every show. But it is exciting.

What do you wish for the Nigerian Art Scene?
Probably the same things I wish for the country itself. I wish for dynamism, truth, better focus, greater involvement in our arts by our Nigerian people, a bigger economy, greater infrastructural and mental development, greater access to the wider world, a stronger commitment by all stake holders in the art industry and of course, greater support, promotion and patronage of the arts.

Which animal do you see yourself as?
The closest would be the eagle….but not quite cause I don’t eat raw meat.
What is your favourite past time?
It varies but it has to be whatever brings me the most joy and the least pressure at any point in time. Now that is a broad range of things so feel free to project on it …and while doing so, kick in political blogging, watching football, art making, partying, travelling and sex high up my list.
Which Nigerian artist/artiste would you like to collaborate with?
At the moment no one comes to mind because my choice of artist would have to be informed by the particular concept I have in mind at the time.













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home